All Company Directors will need to have a Director ID, which is a unique identifier that is kept forever, by 1 November 2022 at the latest.
Director ID’s are being implemented to allow the government to verify and track an individual’s corporate history and specifically minimise illegal phoenixing and other fraudulent behaviour. This will be a unique 15-digit number that is given to all company directors.
Applications will be open from 1 November 2021 until 30 November 2022 to register Director ID’s with the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS).
Key application dates
- If you became a director before 31 October 2021, you are required to apply for your Director ID by 30 November 2022;
- If you become a company director between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022, you are given a time frame of 28 days to register your Director ID; and
- If you are appointed as a company director after 5 April 2022, you will be required to obtain this before your appointment.
Failure to comply with these rules will result in criminal liability, as it has been put into place to protect the personal identity of company directors and is therefore compulsory.
Directors must apply for an ID number themselves as the Director’s identity must be verified, we cannot apply on your behalf. Details on how to apply are set out below.
How to apply?
The quickest way to apply is online. There is no fee for applying. You will need to:
- Set up a myGovID account (if you don’t already have one). This is different to your myGOV account. You need to verify your identity to a minimum identity strength of ‘standard.’ The types of documents which will be helpful are things like your Passport, Birth Certificate or Drivers License.
- Have your identification documents ready. You will need your TFN, residential address (as held by the ATO) and two documents that verify your identity, e.g. bank account / super account details, ATO notice of assessment, dividend statement or PAYG payment summary.
- If you set up your MyGovID with ‘strong’ identity strength, you require less of the ancillary documents referred to above as part of the registration process.
- Submit the application here.
Apply by phone
From November 2021, you can apply by phone if you provide:
- an Australian tax file number (TFN), which is optional but will speed up the process.
- your residential address as held by the ATO.
- answers to two questions based on details they know about you (unspecified)
- the documents you need to verify your identity, including one primary document (Australian Birth Certificate, Australian Passport, Australian Citizenship Certificate or extract from a Register of Citizenship by Descent, Immicard or Visa for people with foreign passports), and a secondary document (Medicare Card or Australian Drivers Licence or Australian Learners permit).
Apply with a paper form
If you can’t apply online or over the phone, you can apply using a paper form. This is a slower process, and you will need to provide:
- the filled out application form (A downloadable application form will be available on the ABRS in November 2021).
- certified copies of one primary document (Australian Birth Certificate, Australian Passport, Australian Citizenship certificate or extract from a Register of Citizenship by Descent or a foreign passport) and two secondary identity documents (Medicare card and Australian Drivers Licence or Australian Learners permit) to verify your identity.
Roberts & Morrow may be able to offer our assistance in locating, certifying and sending through the necessary ID forms, however, we will not be able to assist with this process directly or on your behalf. Contact us today at our office or email email@example.com if you have questions.
We will send follow up communication shortly about how best to get your new Company Director ID information through to your accountant.
**The material and contents provided in this publication are informative in nature only. If expert assistance is required, professional advice should be obtained.